So I start this post with an apology to my family, who I’ve completely ignored and neglected for virtually two days solid, as I spent them in a 13 Reasons Why induced coma. At one point my husband came in to poke me with a stick and put a mirror under my nose to check I was still breathing. I decided quite early on Sunday (16th April) I was fed up of feeling left out of everyone discussing 13 Reasons and I wanted in. I should also just add here this is the exact same reason I read Fifty Shades of Grey. Anyway skip forward 48 hours and I’ve binged watched all 13 episodes and I’m not going to give any major spoilers away but I will give you my 13 wishes after watching 13 Reasons Why.
- There are a lot of references to other people listening to the tapes a lot quicker and I can’t help but wish the narrative would’ve followed one of those as my early suspicions were right. It is soooooooo drawn out and long winded.
- I wish someone would of throat punched Clay’s mum. I don’t know why but she drives me insane. I don’t know what it is about her. Her monotonous drivel or her passive attempts at helping him but I spent most of the time wanting to throat punch her.
- I love Jeff. I wish he’d of had more air time.
- I also wish we knew more about Skye.
- I wish the make up department had of been more on point with Clay’s head wound. It looked proper frowsy in most of the episodes and I know it was jumping timelines but the continuity with his graze also left a lot to be desired.
- I so desperately wish Hannah would of got her shit together sooner when it comes to Clay but I also acknowledge then the story wouldn’t be what it is.
- I wish my heart didn’t break watching episode 11.
- I really REALLY wish I didn’t feel sorry for the likes of Justin and Zach.
- I wish I didn’t fear Ross Butler (Zach Dempsey) was in danger of getting typecast. Douchelord jock in Riverdale, douchelord jock in 13 Reasons Why. I’m seeing a pattern emerging here.
- I kind of wish we’d of started at the end and worked our way backwards.
- I can’t be the only person who watched who wishes I didn’t still have this many questions.
- I wish a PG version could be made to show to all teenage kids at school to try and help teach them some valuable lessons.
I feel like there were so many important things said during all the episodes that I’d be here forever listing them all but here are just a couple to reflect on.
Overall I found 13 Reasons Why to be a very compelling and heartbreaking watch. I actually feel bad, due to the content and nature, saying it was great. It’s a bit like watching The Passion of Christ and saying it’s “brilliant”. It explores teenage suicide and deals with rape and some very difficult subjects but I know that it will stay with me for a while. Have you watched? What did you think? No spoilers please or DM me on Twitter to discuss.